Find Me Elsewhere

Saturday, September 22, 2012

From a Sweater to a Beanie Hat

This is my first attempt at making a hat. It seems pretty simple to cut out two pieces and sew them together. But mine didn't end up exactly like I wanted, but I think it was good effort for my first try.


Remember this pattern? No? I used the same thrift store sweater to make these. I still had a lot of fabric on that sweater, so I decided to make a beanie. I love beanies, when the weather is cool, I wear them all the time. so, I started by getting one of my favorite beanies and using it as an outline for the one I was making.


One of the cutouts had a cute little pocket on it (it's not easily seen because it's the same fabric/pattern as the sweater) and I had previously cut off the pocket on the other piece, and I wanted to cover up what was stuck on the sweater, so I used a totally different fabric from a hand-me-down shirt that I love.


I stacked the piece on top of each other so that they would be inside out and sewed them together. I actually sewed the seam twice. Now I'm not a seamstress, so I don't know the correct words for the stitches but I did a basic stitch, then I went over the same area with a stitch that went around the seams.


Next I opened up my little container of buttons and found little groups of four that I liked and sewed one group to each side.


Boyfriend so graciously decided to model the hat for me:


I think it looks alright, it's just that little bump on the back that bothers me, but I honestly don't know what I could do to fix it.

Oh, a little side note, the night before I did this project, boyfriend and I made spaghetti and meatballs. That doesn't sound like anything spectacular, but we decided to take a different road with the meatballs, instead of making bite sized like we normally do, we made them extra large! They were about the size of 3 or 4 regular sized meatballs. We baked them at 350 for about an hour or until they're cooked all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment