Find Me Elsewhere

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

DIY: Faux Boot Socks

I haven't done a DIY in a while, lately it's all been about food, but with September right around the corner, I'm going to need some boot socks to go under my new boots. However, boot socks can be expensive, and hard to find. Not to mention, a whole sock made of bulky wool can make everything in the boot tighter. You want to have room to move around, right!? So, I came across a sort of picture tutorial here. Not really a tutorial, so much as an idea.

 
 
About a month ago I went to a local consignment store and found a sweater. You can find perfect sweaters at any thrift store or you may already have one, just make sure the sleeves will be big enough to fit around your calves. I got this "DC" brand sweater for about $3.
 
 
I didn't want each "sock" to be so blah, I wanted them to have to pizz-azz! So, I salvaged the buttons also. Then I got another idea to add interest to each sock. I cut off the zipper latch thingy at the top of the sweater, and one of the pockets.
 
 
Next I laid everything out to get a picture in my head of how I wanted them to look. I cut off the ends of the sleeves (towards the top of the picture) so that the end coming out of the boot would have a clean edge, but you still want to quickly hem the other end cut by scissors so they don't fray and come apart after a few uses.
 
 
Lastly, get to sewing. I had four buttons, one pocket, and one latch. So I sewed the pocket with two buttons on one, covering a logo, and the latch and two buttons on the other.
 
I will definitely be making more of these with sweaters I never wear. You can add cute buttons, ribbons, lace, patches, or anything.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment